Monday, May 08, 2006

How About That Weather?

Holy Moley! That was a serious storm tonight! My whole house was shaking with the thunder and the yard was filling with hail. Here you see a picture of my deck. Hail is just too cool. Aside from the millions of dollars in damage to everything it touches, how can't you love it? The concept of balls of ice falling from the sky seems so strange. That there is enough wind in some of these storms to keep ice whipping up and down through a system long enough for it to get that big is the kind of thing that makes a guy wish he was the small town local TV meteorologist that the whole city makes fun of.

To the left you can see my steps. This happened in all of about 2 minutes. That is another interesting thing about hail, it comes down in no time flat. One second it is raining, the next you have this much ice on the ground. Then, just as quickly as it started, it is over. Have I mentioned how cool hail is?

8 Comments:

Blogger Seth R. said...

Hail is pretty cool. Freezing, in fact (sorry, I couldn't resist). ;)

5/08/2006 11:50 PM  
Blogger david said...

It's funny because it's true.

5/09/2006 7:29 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

SWEET! I LOVE HAIL, ALTHOUGH SURPRISINGLY, ANOTHER INTERESTING FACT IS THAT IT DOESN'T COME DOWN IN EVERY AREA IT'S RAINING... IT WOULD BE COOL TO SEE IT GOLF BALL SIZED.. (ALTHOUGH THE DAMAGE THING, WOULDN'T BE SO COOL WITH GOLF BALL SIZED)

5/09/2006 2:17 PM  
Blogger david said...

Cool! I haven't seen golf ball sized hail yet. I guess that makes me lucky, although as long as my car and house are out of harms way, it would be interesting to see.

5/10/2006 6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/10/2006 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^ Do you know who took that picture? I do. You look smooshed in it. Did you get bonked on the head with hail that day?

5/10/2006 10:28 AM  
Blogger david said...

That is nuts! Amazing how limited hail can be.

Thanks Zapster! Per my board rules about pics I'll have to be removing your posting shortly. Yes, I'm being a dink about it.

5/13/2006 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I violated your rules. I was trying to respect them by deliberately choosing a picture that only had you in it.

6/03/2006 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home