Thursday, April 06, 2006

David In NYC: April Edition

In this month's edition of David's New York adventures, you will learn about all the fascinating things I saw and did while in New York City this past weekend! Prepare to get your David in NYC fix! I joke about this, only because I'm sure you are all sick about hearing "New York this" and "NYC that." Well too bad, this is my life. (for the sarcasm impaired this stern tone is in itself a joke)

This past Saturday my girlfriend and I went to Roosevelt Island, a small island just east of Manhattan. To get there, a tram is available to take you over the river. It is a very scenic view of Manhattan, the island, and the water for the 4 minute ride. While we were there we followed a walking tour I printed off from the internet so we were able to get a good feel for the island and its history.

The Island was at one time home to an insane asylum and a small pox hospital, it was basically where New Yorkers put all the people they didn't want to deal with (could that be why they got me to go there?). Much of the island is run down, and there are a few ruins on the island they have left to maintain its history. This medical research laboratory from the 1850's is one of them.

Roosevelt Island also home to some strange art, such as these sculptures along the water line. This is one in a series of three that has something to do with the "marriage of money and real estate." Don't ask me what that means, I have no clue, but they are interesting none the less.

The last thing I would like to point out about the island is this church. The "Chapel of the Good Shepherd" is one of the oldest churches in NYC, built in 1889, and when it was first built it was considered such revolutionary design that in the first year after it was built people came from Europe and Australia to see it.

Sunday we went to Bear Mountain to do some hiking. We ventured off the beaten trail for a little while to do a little climbing around on the rocks. Even though there was a lost a pair of sunglasses, a few bruises and a cut to the leg, we were ready for more action. Next time we will have to hit up a larger, more deadly hiking trail. Mt. Kilimanjaro anyone?

I won't be heading back to NYC until at least June now. My next flight however will be to CA. My girlfriend is doing training in San Francisco and we will be spending memorial day weekend out there with my sister. So keep posted for more travel updates!

1 Comments:

Blogger david said...

I think it is kind of a funny statue, I wouldn't put it in my living room or front lawn, but it is interesting.

If you want to see more Island pics, here is a page dedicated to them. And another with the other statues I didn't post.

4/09/2006 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home