Sunday, May 21, 2006

Dogsitting

I've always wanted a dog. Ever since I was a little kid I've loved playing with them, taking them on walks, and seeing their excitement when they see me. This weekend I had the chance to take care of my friend's dog and it reminded me again about those childhood dreams. It also reminded me that I don't have time for one. Every 8 hours or so I had to come home to let her out, something I needed to consciously be aware of. I had to remember that if I was out for the day I needed to come back for her, take care of her. I think that's called responsibility.

I find this to be interesting in that after living on my own for so long I just have to think about me all the time. It is a rather selfish existence. Not that it can be avoided when I'm on my own, but it is something I never really saw happening. I know the dog analogy is a little strange, but it got me thinking.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I've always said that if I'm not married by the time I'm like 30 or so... I'm going to get a pet... cat or dog I haven't decided. Depends on the roomate situation too, since Angela is alergic... hmm... But, it's for that selfish factor because I've seen other singles get so stuck in a rut without any other responsibilities (i'm talking older singles)... I don't want to be that way, so I decided having to keep another thing alive (besides plants) will definitely make things not only about me. :)
so anyways.. i hear ya!

5/22/2006 12:13 AM  
Blogger david said...

Good to know I'm not alone on this one. I guess it is one of those things you just need to watch out for.

5/22/2006 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one reason I finally decided to keep the puppy I found last week. That and its supernatural powers of adorability.

Petownerhood definitely changes you, though. It's already forced me to become more patient and caused me to sort of "live in the moment" more, if that makes sense.

Her endless nightime crying has also taught me that I never want to have a kid.

6/26/2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger david said...

Not a bad idea. So maybe I should get a dog just to be a better person. Either I'd become a better person, or I'd become overly frustrated with life. Either way, I'd probably learn something.

6/29/2006 6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If you never get a dog it makes you a bad person."

8/13/2006 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home