Sunday, September 25, 2005

Weekend in Chicago

As previously mentioned, I spent this past weekend in Chicago visiting my girlfriend, and it was a fantastic trip. Not only because we got to see eachother for the first time in 4 weeks (yes, I know that sounds super cheesy, give me a break), but we kept quite busy in the city.

Friday night we went out on the town with her fellow instructors, it was quite the mix. They were from all over the U.S. so there was a lot of making fun of each other’s accents. Surprisingly, my Minnesota accent (which I’m usually told is sickingly thick) was never dwelt on. Then again, why pick on the Minnesotan when there are Brooklyn and Canadian accents to poke at? We ate at a pretty swanky place called Nacional 27, a “nuevo latino” style restaurant. I’m not entirely sure what Nuevo latino means, but it must have something to do with how stylin’ you look eating it. I never would have thought that eating food could make a person look cooler, but this somehow pulled it off. One of the instructors covered dinner and drinks for the 6 of us, so it turned out to be a super cheap night. It sure must be nice to have a per diem!

Saturday we spent bumming around the city. We opted for the $5 CTA day pass, it lets you ride the el and busses around Chicago all you want for 24 hours. We at lunch at Gino’s East, the only real pizza place in the world. They have a sausage pizza that uses a single sausage patty to cover the pie, it is to die for (and with the amount of grease in it, your heart might agree). From there we walked over to the Navy Pier, although it started raining so we didn’t do much walking on the pier next to the water. That evening we hit up the White Sox game. Just by chance, they were playing the Twins, but it wasn’t a good day to be a Twins fan. The beating was embarrassing. 8-1 final score pretty much says it all. Still, it was fun to see U.S. Cellular field, eat nachos, and yell in frustration.

Today was a short day. Slept in, grabbed lunch, and caught a flight back to MN. Weekends go far too quickly, but I definitely feel like I was able to make the most of this one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Sweet... hey, I've totally been to that Nacional restaurant!!! I went there with my friends in April, the same time I saw BlueMan Group!! That's where I went salsa dancing... they take all the tables and chairs out of the middle and it's the dance floor with all those curved booths surrounding it... it was awesome!

Glad you had such a great time... and wow... definitely would have to say the exact opposite for that sausage pizza... nast. but that's just my opinion..

9/27/2005 2:54 AM  
Blogger Seth R. said...

I think I'm about to have a coronary just thinking about that pizza. Sounds like a good time though. I'll have to go to Chicago one of these days.

9/30/2005 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home