Sunday, September 04, 2005

Happy Birthday Me

Today is the 26th anniversary of my travels through and out of the birth canal. I am actually surprised at how good of a birthday it has been. My friends from church got me a card and everyone signed it. I know that probably isn't a big deal for most, but I can't remember the last time anyone organized a card signing for me. Maybe sometime pre-college? For sure during my chemo treatments in high school, but that wasn't birth day related. Anyway, it has been a while. I don't think I showed it very well, but it was greatly appreciated. Very thoughtful. It surprises me, but maybe I care about my birthday more than I lead on.

Likewise, my girlfriend came through with a stellar card that I received in the mail yesterday. It is a shame we will have to wait to celebrate until mid September, but the wait and anticipation will just make it all the more fun.

I met up with my Mom and Grandparents on Friday to celebrate. As always, Mom made my favorite, lasagna. We feasted, chatted, and then it was over all too quickly. It sure is nice to have family nearby, even if I typically only see them on holidays and birthdays. There is never enough time to spend with family.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Me! Whoo hoo!

8 Comments:

Blogger Erin Bennett said...

Holy moly! When you commented back in May on my mom's cancer survivor blog and said you had "been through the whole cancer thing," I assumed you meant your mom or someone else. Sorry I'm a dork, and glad you clearly made it through okay. :)
Also sorry I was 24 years off on my birthday wish in the card. I didn't want to guess and only be a year or two off, so I went all the way. But when you do turn 50, don't come looking for a birthday wish from me. You've already gotten it.

9/04/2005 9:32 PM  
Blogger david said...

Don't worry, I won't be looking for any 50th birthday wishes from you any time soon, but I'll be certain to keep the card around for when I need some 50th birthday cheer!

As for the whole cancer thing, yes, I made it through ok. Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

9/04/2005 10:07 PM  
Blogger Seth R. said...

Wow, David, I had no idea you went through cancer treatments. I'm glad you came out of it ok, or I never would have known you.

Oh, and happy birthday! I had no idea about that either.

9/05/2005 7:37 PM  
Blogger david said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I guess I'm full of surprises today!

9/06/2005 7:16 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Wow... count me as the third now here who never knew about your having been through cancer! I also, as Erin, assumed when you were talking about it that it was your mom or close relative.
We missed you at the Falls' but we thought of you many times! :)

9/06/2005 4:21 PM  
Blogger david said...

Really? Nobody I've met in the last 3 years knows about my cancer experience? Its old news (I was 17), so I've never thought it blogworthy, but maybe at somepoint I'll have to post some cancer reflections.

9/06/2005 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh...two comments.
1 - I did know about the cancer thing (you told a story once about being the non-swimming swim team captain) AND
2 - Happy two year anniversary of the greatest surprise party ever!

Happy belated birthday!

9/26/2005 12:14 PM  
Blogger david said...

That was an awesome surprize party 2 years ago. Thanks again for making that happen.

9/26/2005 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home