Saturday, August 20, 2005

California Post 2

Today we went to a place simply known as the “Mystery Spot.” It is a fairly accurate name. Gravity seems to have different rules while you are in this 300 foot diameter circle. I thought for sure before we went in that it had to be a hoax, but after watching water run uphill on a surface a level says is definitely uphill I was a believer. In certain places you can even stand at a 17 degree slant without falling over. It sure is weird looking straight down and seeing your feet behind you. UPDATE: I'd like to think I'm a logical thinker, but I was totally taken. I did some further research and found my initial suspicions were true.

After the Mystery Spot we headed out to the beach for a big bash my sister organized in my honor. It was a massive beach, stretching out for miles. On one end there was a whole amusement park complete with roller coasters right on the water’s edge and then on the other a ton of sand, volleyball nets, and fire pits. For whatever reason Californians don’t seem to like the ocean, myself, my sister, and one of her roommates were the only ones out of a group of 50+ people that ended up getting in the water. Why live next to the ocean if you don’t like the water? I don’t think I’ll ever understand these people. Still, we were able to get people into the volleyball, a game of touch football, and roasting marshmallows around the bonfire.

Through out the night I and one of the guys at the party were joking about doing a midnight surf run, then at about 9:45 he was taking off. I accused him of backing out on our plan, and to my surprise he took off his jacket and without missing a beat said, “Let’s go.” I stripped down to my suit, and he was in his street cloths and we made a mad dash for the ocean, screaming the whole way. It was cold, wet, and the most exciting thing we did that day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

sweet! i wanna go there! that's crazy!!

sounds like you're having a blast!

8/24/2005 10:47 PM  
Blogger mjonthemove said...

Girlfriend!! That's awesome, Davey. I know it was the last post, but who reads comments from last posts? Seriously.

Anyway, I know you are on vacation and all, but I have another crazy request.

My 10-year old brother lost the files you gave us. I am sorry, but is it possible for you to send me another copy?

I know this is asking a ton, but if you are able to do it, SWEET!!! He was all bummed out, fearing that his dreams of being the coolest kid on the block were dashed. Ha! Funny kid.

Have fun on the West Coast. I'm in Seattle. That's West Coast. ROCK!

matt glatzel
644 W. Nickerson St. #1
Seattle, WA 98119

8/25/2005 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't I get any credit for alerting you to your undiscerning visual-proprioceptive interaction? It's not easy sucking the wonder out of everyone's lives, I think us hardworking skeptics deserve a little more appreciation.

10/06/2005 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home