Sunday, June 26, 2005

Danger in Chi-Town

Yesterday I called my cousin to wish her a happy 21st birthday. She was on her way to Chicago with some friends to celebrate so she couldn't talk long but was happy to hear from me. This morning at about 8:30 I got a call from her, which was very strange. She is one that is not known to be out of bed before noon on a regular basis and called me even less. I figured something had to be going on.

I answered the phone only to find that she wasn't on the other end. The phone had apparently been bumped and called the last person who had called her, which was me. I listened for about a minute to what appeared to be stuff shuffling around. Thinking nothing of it, I was about to hang up the phone when I started to hear voices. The voices of men speaking Spanish to each other and laughing and talking about something I couldn't follow. Now this really didn't seem right. I quick moved into the computer room and attempted to get the computer setup to record the audio. I soon realized I had neither a proper microphone nor the software to do such a thing installed. After listening to the men talk for nearly 20 minutes, I could hear one of them grabbing the phone and beginning to dial numbers. Realizing the phone was on, he ended the call.

I'm not usually one to let my mind wander, but I also don't usually receive strange phone calls like this. I wasn't sure what to do, had the phone been stolen? Had my cousin been mugged or abducted? I ended up calling her parents. They assured me that she was with Columbian friends who frequently spoke Spanish and not to worry. I felt like an idiot.

Two hours later I got a call from an unknown number. It was my cousin. She didn't recognize it was me who answered and sounded very uncomfortable over the phone. "This might sound a little weird, but who is this?" she said, still sounding unsure of where this conversation was going. I identified myself and told her the story. She said her cell phone was stolen and she had contacted her cell provider to find out that my number was called along with several others. I realized I'm not an idiot.

It was a relief to know that only her cell was lost, and a very interesting experience overall. I had never been in the middle of a crime like this before. Granted it was relatively minor, but a unique experience none the less.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin Bennett said...

Crazy!
And hopefully I remember you? What's that supposed to mean? How could I forget you, David? :)

6/26/2005 11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home