Thursday, February 02, 2006

NYC in a Few Words

Last weekend I ventured off to New York city to visit my girlfriend. It is such an amazing city. Amazing in that anyone would enjoy living there for their whole life. Ok, that may be a little harsh, but I realized this past weekend it how hard it is to do the simplest things. Everyone knows that if you live in NYC you walk everywhere for everything, but knowing and doing are two different things. We walked to the grocery store, church, the park, to dinner, to meet friends, to everywhere! I know I sound like a spoiled suburbanite, and maybe I am, but it was a very eye opening trip to what life is like in the city.

We needed to buy some picture hangers, some blinds, and other standard errand stuff. As strange as it sounds, this was a major task! We drove to a Target in NJ, the busiest Target I have seen in my life, and fought our way through to get everyday life stuff. And that is the suburbs!

It was a very good lesson for me. I am not a big city guy. I still think it would be fun to do for a year or two, but that kind of living would do me in. Still, it has its advantages. For instance, my girlfriend can see this sunset every night:


And Central Park is a thing of beauty. Despite the fact that is was the last weekend of January, the park was still a gorgeous place:


It is hard to believe that so much grass and water can exist in the center of such a massive city. It is a marvel.

In short, it was a great trip, and you should for sure check the place out if you haven't. I just wouldn't recommend a long term plan that involves living out there unless you are used to massive cities.

In other news, school is going well so far. My first paper is due Wednesday so much of my weekend will be filled by working on it. I'm trying to squeeze some fun in there, but I'll be plenty busy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I'm glad you took a break to hang with everyone on SAt. night! It was fun!

hope to see you again soon!

2/05/2006 10:53 PM  
Blogger david said...

Lisa - It was great you see all of you as well!

Karin - It was a blast, you will love it there. I didn't know you were headed east for your honeymoon! Sounds like fun!

2/07/2006 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home