Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Hell Week And What I've Learned

I'm not exactly how else it can be described. I've never enjoyed finals week, but then again I doubt I'm alone on that one. There is just something about staying up until midnight studying and waking up at 5:30 for work and having 0 down time that wears a person out. Luckily, after tomorrow it will be over for 2 months.

As this is the end of the semester, I figured it would be fitting to share with you a couple not-so-academic (as not to overly bore you) tidbits of information I've learned my first semester back at school.

Accounting is a lot like computer science, although not nearly as fun. Both require a lot of number crunching, creative means of handling data, and mechanisms that initially seem bizarre but later seem to be the most intuitive and practical way to solve the problem. That is the kind of stuff that excites me. What pushes computer science ahead of accounting for me is that your work has a tangible product. A running application excites me for some reason more than a stack of reports. Still, if I would have been born in 1940, I would probably be a CPA today.

Strategy is developing what you do well and choosing not to develop the rest. This seems like to some extent it could apply to life as well as business. No one can do everything, and it is important not to try to or you will do nothing well. The most difficult thing is to chose what not to do, and to find ways to build upon your skills. This could mean taking those skills into new places, or applying them in new ways.

I'm heading out on a 10 day Thanksgiving adventure next week to meet my girlfriend's family, so I might not be able to post until Dec 1, but I'm sure I'll have plenty more to update you on then!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

well, what better a day, than Dec. 1st to update... :)

11/17/2005 12:43 AM  
Blogger Erin Bennett said...

"Not-so-Academic"? Holy Hannah, that whole accounting/computer science paragraph was way over my head. But at least someone out there cares about that stuff!
Have a lovely two weeks off--you've certainly worked for it. And Happy Thanksgiving-and-meeting-the-girlfriend's-family time! :)

11/17/2005 6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving David! I'm heading to Iowa for a "meet the parents the second time" bash :)

11/17/2005 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home