Sunday, February 12, 2006

The *Joy* of Taxes

It's that time of year again. I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon working on my taxes. It took more hours than I'd like to admit, but I think my federal taxes are finally done. I know you are asking yourself right now, "Isn't David dating a CPA? She could do it for him in under 30 min!" That may be true, and she did offer to do them for me, but I figure it is important know why the government is running away with my money rather than simply finding out how much they ran away with.

Tax season always seems to get me in a bad mood. It seems strange that every year I have to pay the government thousands of dollars and that I have to spend countless hours filling out paperwork to do so. Yes, I'd rather do that than get charged even more, but at face value it just seems ridiculous.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I "get" to do my taxes this year with my dad. Usually he does them for me, but decided that it would be good for me to learn how myself. So, that's my date for Vday, how nice, eh? But, I usually get a return, so I guess it will be a nice Vday present to me from the gov't! or something like that...

aren't you supposed to get money Back because of your house or something??

2/12/2006 10:08 PM  
Blogger david said...

Yes, I'm getting a refund, but the amount of the refund I'm getting is far less than the amount already taken from me. I'm not getting any present from the government, I'm just telling them how much extra I've paid them.

2/13/2006 6:34 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

that's true... but, better than nothing! that's why we live in the good old' USofA, right?

2/14/2006 12:15 AM  
Blogger Seth R. said...

I always enjoy getting the refund. Ok, sure, I know it's my money that was rightfully mine all along. But it's money I learned to get along without. So when I get it back, it just feels good. Kind of like finding a $20 in your pants pocket you didn't know was there.

And remember: In Soviet Russia, taxes do you!

2/15/2006 1:00 AM  
Blogger david said...

You are both right, it is better than nothing, and there are few things better than finding, although I never seem to find my own lying around. Either I do too good a job keeping track of my cash, or I do too good a job losing it. Not sure which.

2/16/2006 5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as Garvin Eichhorst always said, people should feel fortunate that they CAN pay taxes. Folks who do not have to pay taxes are tremendously poor.

2/16/2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger david said...

Eichhorst? You still read this? Excellent! Gavin is right, that doesn't mean I can't complain once in a while though! I need to give you a call one of these days!

2/21/2006 7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we didn't pay ridiculous taxes, how could the government afford to kill so many people over such a incredibly drawn out period, or afford to buy so much oil which in turn they can sell back to us a a ungodly profit?

2/27/2006 5:13 PM  
Blogger david said...

Good point. I wonder if I can double my tax this year.

2/27/2006 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home