Sunday, February 26, 2006

Gambling Man

I have never been a gambler, and still am not, but I tried a new thing this week, the "sports bracket" picks. A friend asked me to throw in $2 and guess how this weekend's golf tournament would go, and I figured why not. It was time to step out there and give 'er a go! A little youthful indiscretion! Oh, wait, that probably would have needed to have happened in my youth.

Knowing nothing of golf and calling on a strategy my sister once used (yes, I get gambling advice from my little sister) I used a coin flip to determine my picks. I figured with 7 people in it my odds were good that a 2 would pick horribly, 2 well, 2 great, and I would fall somewhere in the middle. I was hoping I would fall on the high side of middle, but worst case at least my results wouldn't look like a guy who knew nothing.

The first couple rounds were ugly, very ugly, and it wasn't until the second to last day that I actually was looking competitive due to a couple upsets. It was at this point I was jokingly informed by one of the players that if a coin flipper won, he wanted his money back. Apparently some take the game of golf a little more seriously than myself ;-)

In the end, by some strange twist of fate, I actually won! For knowing nothing about golf, I figure that is pretty decent.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a simple formula to never lose when gambling on sports:

Take the number of gamblers and divide it by the number of bowls of oatmeal you ate last week. If the number of stomach crunches you can do in 2 minutes is greater the sum of the original number of gamblers, then add 3. Otherwise subtract five from the difference of 3 and bowls of oatmeal. Whichever sports team/athlete is closest in weight to the number you came up with is who you should bet on. This is a foolproof guaranteed* never to fail formula.


*void in all fifty states and anywhere legal contracts are enforced.

2/27/2006 4:38 PM  
Blogger david said...

Thanks! That is excellent advice, I've been without anything to go on for the past 6 years since my almanac went out of date.

2/27/2006 7:56 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Congrats David! So you won after all :)

3/01/2006 11:42 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Congrats David! So you won after all :)

3/01/2006 11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats David! So you won after all :)

3/18/2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger david said...

Zapcrafter - well said! I did win. The current bracket is going ok too, although I have a feeling that is going to change very soon. Not very confident with my next picks

3/19/2006 1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home