Sunday, June 19, 2005

Nebraskan Funeral

I drove my Grandparents to Nebraska this weekend to attend my Grandmother's sister's funeral. They are starting to have a harder time traveling long distances and they didn't mind the company, so it worked out well for me to drive them.

We went to the funeral with one of my other Great Aunt's who lives in Omaha. Have you ever gotten 3 people over the age of 75 in a car together for a 2 hour road trip? Strange things start happening. Old hymns are broken out and you are expected to start singing along. I haven't been to a church where hymns are sung in many years, and only recognized two of them so I was very much the odd man out. Conversation revolves around the current state of the wheat growing in the fields and when so and so is going to harvest. I found all this fascinating. We were all big city dwellers yet the conversation was almost entirely about weather and wheat. I think there is a lot I don't know about growing old.

As it is with any of these big family functions, I met a lot of relatives I never knew I had. I wasn't the only one learning of new family. Apparently I have a second or third cousin that married a Mexican, and it was brought up several times how tainted the Swedish line is now. I guess that includes me since I'm a German-Swede hybrid.

We made it back alive, but I'm shot. I think I could sleep for the next week. Too much driving and not enough sleep. More later...

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin Bennett said...

You're such a good boy, David. :) Kudos to your patience and kindness this weekend!

6/20/2005 6:38 AM  
Blogger david said...

Hardly! Little do you know I was just in it to get a couple free meals out of the relatives and a free trip to the great state of Nebraska ;-)

6/22/2005 1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home