Friday, April 29, 2005

Farewell ODYouth...

This fall, provided I'm accepted, I'll be starting at the Carlson School of Management working on my Part-Time MBA. I plan on taking classes weeknights and on the weekend, which as I'm told by current students, pretty much destroys any thought of having a social life. And so will be my existence for approximately 4 years.

I am really excited about starting on this adventure, but at the same time I know it will be hard to give up a lot of the things I am currently involved with that make life so fun and rewarding. Most missed of these things will be my work with the youth group at Church of the Open Door. With the amount of time that school will consume and my inability to go on any of the retreats or be involved in any activities outside Wednesdays, I don't think I would be doing the youth any favors by spreading myself so thin. Connecting with the students really only happens well in a casual, fun environment; that typically means outside of church. As I hardly have time for such things now, I don't believe I will be able to continue on in a helpful manner.

I'll be helping out through the summer, but then my 2.5 year journey will end. I'll still be around, but I'm afraid I'll lose my connection to the church and the people I've gotten to know so well over the years. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but it will be hard to maintain as close of contact as everyone else is starting off on new phases of their lives as well such as marriage, kids, and new jobs.

So to all you OD peeps out there, remember that just because we may not be doing youth group together anymore doesn't mean we shouldn't still hang out!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Well, I think we'll all do our best to keep it up as long as you do... it still is a two way street... even though yours will have more road blocks to jump over or move. :)

4/29/2005 11:48 PM  
Blogger david said...

I'll do my best! You are right though, it will be a challenge for me to keep it up with all that will be going on. I'll still be at Open Door so I should at least see the crew on Sundays. Maybe I can find something less time intesive to get involved with within the church as well. We'll see.

5/01/2005 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home