Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The 29 Hour Shift

I like my work, but I wouldn't consider myself a workaholic. The past two days have been nuts though. One of the sites I'm responsible for went down yesterday and it was one of those things where it just had to be up. Then began a my first ever 29 hour shift. Aside from a 3 hour stop at my mother's place for dinner, I was working from 8:00 a.m. Tuesday to 4:00 p.m. Wednesday.

It is really strange, because I hated it at the time, and was super tired, but now looking back on it 5 hours later it doesn't seem so bad. Now approaching my 40th hour of wakefulness, I don't think I have ever gone without sleep for this long, and I know for certain I have felt a lot more tired than I currently am. It is almost unsettling how good I feel. Just as experiment some time it would be interesting to see how long I could go without sleep. I've heard stories of people suffering long term effects from sleep deprivation, but I doubt I could ever make it more than 3 or 4 days max.

It is also really strange how we all know the human body is an amazing and wonderful tool, but then people (such as myself in the above paragraph) take such interest in abusing it to see how much it can take. Similarly, if you spent thousands on a decked out hummer would you take it up a mountain and scratch up the shiny paint job? Somewhere between safety and insanity is a common ground called having a life, don't forget that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home