Saturday, October 07, 2006

Welcome To The Maine Event!



Another weekend on the road! I went out to visit my girlfriend last weekend and we drove from NYC to Portland, ME, making a few stops along the way. I have a feeling that when the typical person thinks of Maine, they get a picture in their head of quaint little villages, lobster, the ocean, and lighthouses. And they couldn't be more correct. I was shocked as to learn how similar Maine is to what all the stereotypes are.

First of all, there is lobster advertised everywhere. You can buy it at any store, including many small ma & pop convienence stores, steak houses, and I even saw it advertised at a small town gas station. I also couldn't believe all the ways it was prepared. They have "lobster roll" which is a sandwich of lobster meat with mayo, kind of like a ultra expensive tuna sandwich. They also offer what is known as "lobster pie", which is something that us Minnesotan's would label as a "Hot Dish." Why on earth anyone would do such a thing to $20 a pound meat is beyond me, but they certainly like their lobster.

We visited two lighthouses while we were their, the "Head Light" lighthouse (top) and the Nubble light house (bottom). You have undoubtedly seen photos of Head Light lighthouse on the cover of any book you have ever seen discussing Maine. It puzzles me why so many people are fascinated with lighthouses, so much so that they decorate their houses with pictures, figurines, and paintings of them. I don't decorate my house in GPS receivers (also used so ships don't run aground), actually I don't decorate my house at all, but if I did people would think I was crazy. I can appreciate the aesthetics of them, but I still find it amusing.






All the towns we visited had that typical Maine feel to them, right down to the alleys. Below are a few pictures of them. I could say more about them, but I'll let you fill in the details.









If you enjoy hiking, there are some amazing trails you can do with fantastic views. We did one which was a cliff hike along the ocean in which you follow a winding trail along the edge of the rock, through the openings carved out of the thicket growing around the trail, and could watch the waves crash against the rock. Here is a little bit of what it looked like.



Sunday we spent in NYC, and just by chance happen to catch a movie crew shooting a scene with Will Smith for the upcoming movie, "I am Ledgend", a film about vampire like creatures that have taken over the world and the only human left, Will Smith, must stop them. They were shooting just outside my girlfriend's apartment building which was pretty cool. The scene was of a red Ford Mustang driving the wrong way down a one way street. Even though I know very little about the movie, I'm now anxious to see it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maine event! That's a pun, right!? That's punny!

10/08/2006 3:38 PM  
Blogger david said...

Happy to share the photos! As you can tell from my puns, I'm nothing but class!

10/09/2006 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home