Saturday, July 15, 2006

Another School Update

I figure since school is such a major part of my life and it has been keeping me away from all of you, I should at least update everyone on how it is going!

If you didn't know, I'm currently taking IT Management and Financial Management. For IT Management we are working on a group project in which we are developing the existing business plan for an internet startup called FlySpy. There is currently an alpha version of the site that is available for use. Anyway, in researching what we can do to develop the business, I sent off an email to a competitor site, FareCompare.com, telling them I was a student and was interested in some info about the industry and how their company operates. I made very clear that I was working on a class project related which focused on one of their competitors, but they were still happy to help me out. I emailed with the President, Rick Seaney, and spoke with the Chief Operating Officer, Neil Bainton. It was such a great experience to be able to talk to them about the industry, where they see the business going, and how IT is used at their company. Granted, they are a small company, but to help out a student with a project as much as they did was going above and beyond. Their site is great, so if you need airline tickets, be sure to check FareCompare out.

My finance class has been very interesting for me as well. For the first time I'm starting to truly understand how money grows and things like the valuation of stocks and bonds. I know this is all elementary stuff for anyone who has had an intro to finance course, but as my first exposure to it, this has been very eye opening. I had my midterm today and it felt great. I think I'm on track for a strong semester!

The only downside about school was that I missed Cornerstone. It has been an annual event for a group of my friends since I was in high school. Yes, I know many of the people there are literally half my age, but I like the music. I had to miss it this year because I would have missed my IT class, which I'm already going to miss for a work trip to Dallas next week. It was a major bummer. I probably won't be going back until after I finish school. So goes life.

7 Comments:

Blogger david said...

No, this is a business class so there is no coding. I am merely taunted. Speaking of web apps, we had a presenter come and display the latest and greatest new web app his company is pitching which launched last year and what is it developed in? Classic ASP. Go figure that out.

7/19/2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger david said...

Ha! I wouldn't doubt it!

7/20/2006 11:28 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Actually you can do a crap load of stuff in ASP. That is what we primarily used here. We've bumped it up to ASPX but I didn't mind programing ASP much.

As for Cornerstone that kind of sucks! At least it won't be going away any time soon =)=)=).

Swingin Sam

7/21/2006 1:14 PM  
Blogger david said...

I only did a year and a half of classic ASP, but it was too much. Yes, you can do a lot, but it isn't object oriented so it is a lot harder to build reuseable components unless you build clumsy COM objects. It is also near impossible to debug. And what about data access? ADO was a mess and dealing with untyped datasets (untyped everything for that matter) was constant trouble. I'm going to have to disagree with you on the joy of classic ASP Angry Bear.

7/22/2006 7:47 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

no way, Classic ASP, I cannot believe it... that's just insanity, I tell you!

HA!

well, hopefully sometime before summer ends we could get a few ppl to go for a bike trek somewhere... i don't know where, or when for that matter.
good to hear your still alive, even with school drowning your social life

7/22/2006 10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diet ASP is way better than Classic ASP.

7/23/2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger Seth R. said...

When I was still an intern, I did quite a bit of programming in Classic ASP and at the time I thought it was pretty neat. I mean, you could write FOR loops to generate HTML code. Code writing code! It was amazing!

The I started doing development in ASP.NET, and I realized I would never be able to go back except against my will because my job depended on it. It's like the difference between rubbing two stick together and using a match.

7/31/2006 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home