Saturday, August 04, 2007

Replace and Upgrade?

My fiancé had a wedding shower this weekend. We had registered at a few places before, and I was involved in the selection of all of the stuff (of course there is no DeLorean dealer to register at and electronics stores don't have wedding registries), but I must say, seeing some of it start to come in is a little weird. It's supposedly "our" stuff, but none of it looks like me. Weird huh? I was the one that helped to pick this stuff out. It's legitimately nice stuff, which is great, it just isn't me. If you've ever been over to my place, you would know what I mean. I currently have 25 year old furniture, 30+ year old dishes, nothing hanging on the walls, and only a few possessions (mainly technology related) that are of any value. That is all I've known and now it is all changing. I suppose most people would consider that an upgrade and I guess it is. It is just strange because I've never really put much value on that stuff and now here I am, becoming the typical "normal" middle class American, and I don't feel like that is me. At least, it has never been me.

Change is inevitable, I know that. I can't continue living as I do forever. No one with the exception of me likes living like this and I've known that if I got married this way of life would all change. Still, I like the way I live a lot and I can tell that I'm going to have a hard time letting it go. I've been trying to figure out what is going to be the biggest adjustment for me as a married man, and while I still can't give a definitive answer, I know that the dramatic change in the way I live is something I'm scared of and is going to be a huge adjustment for me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karin - BluePip Designs said...

Nick called all the stuff we got off our registries "mine" and asked permission to use it when it first came home. It's now been assimilated into the general household and just feels "normal" for whomever to use them all (except maybe the scrapbooking stuff I got ;)).

As for everything else, I think your future wife will more than make up for any lack of independence that you are fearing - she's great!

Oh, and Amazon lets you do gift registries, you can register for electronics there!

8/05/2007 12:43 AM  
Blogger mjonthemove said...

Yeah, I freaked out and called a billion people when I found out that we were going to be registering for china and crystal.

It's just one of those things. I have learned to appreciate that my wife no longer lets me live like a slob. No offense. I don't think you live like a slob at all. Your place is cool. But girls don't like cool. They like nice.

This probably doesn't sound like it, but it's a good thing, and yes, it's also weird. Have a good day.

8/06/2007 11:32 AM  
Blogger david said...

mjon- your right, I do live like a slob. I guess this means I have to grow up now huh?

Karin - I would have to agree, my future wife is great!

8/08/2007 10:23 PM  
Blogger mjonthemove said...

OK, another thing on nice, not cool.
My wife is an amazing cook. I mean, amazing. She made enchiladas from thin air the other night, and they were the size of two chipotle burritos, and tasted incredible.

BUT unlike the days of yore when all I had to do to clean up was place the frozen pizza cardboard in the receptacle, there are a ton of dishes. I mean, a ton. That has been the biggest adjustment. Get a dishwasher if you don't have one. DUDE! DISHES! I hate them. Other than that, life is great.

You don't really have to grow up. You can still be raucous and goofy and kiddish, it just has to be planned. I think that's the main thing. You have to schedule your nutsiness. And that takes a little from it, but you hit your stride, and then it rocks. You will do great. Don't grow up!
- m.j.

8/16/2007 10:59 AM  
Blogger david said...

mjon - Sounds like a big step up! Enchiladas out of thin air? How much better can life get?! You are right on the current food prep, I'm lucky to do dishes once a week with how little I generate. That is part of the simple life I'm going to miss. But things change, so here I come!

8/20/2007 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home