Thursday, February 01, 2007

Art Rediscovered

Last night I went to my first professional "showing" of an artist's work. I'm not one to seek out an event like this, however a friend had an extra ticket and invited me to come along. It was fascinating. The evening began with a near limitless supply of wine, beer, and bottled water. I'm not sure what it is about wine and art, but there was a lot of it flowing. There was time given to browse the work, talk to one another, and mellow out a bit. It was very relaxing. Those there reminded me much of my nights out in NYC, at least half of the people there were dressed in black, the other half in the latest designer clothing (as if I know something about fashion). In other words, not at all how I was dressed.

About a half hour into the showing the artist spoke to us about the work, pointed out many of the details and what he was going for in each painting, and other typical artist speak (you know: pallet this, conveying feeling with that). For some reason though the artist speak actually got to me. It actually made me appreciate the art more. I never thought it would. Maybe I'm getting soft, or maybe I never really thought about art in that way.

In any event, I'd recommend if you haven't been to an event like this to go at least once. It was a fantastic life experience and I feel like I've been exposed to another world I never knew existed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

good for you! i would love to go to something like that!

this is why i've never felt like i could be a true artist in that sense.. i've never gotten the "artist" speak down- owell...

2/02/2007 12:17 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

true artist meaning- one that would sell and make a living off fine art paintings, etc.

2/02/2007 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home