Friday, January 11, 2008

Hernias Suck

I’m not usually one to rant but let’s be honest, hernias suck. There are few indisputable truths in this universe, but that is most certainly one of them and I’d like to have a word with anyone who says otherwise. I had surgery to have mine repaired, and I must say, hernia repair surgery sucks too. Yet even worse than surgery is having the doc reopen and clean out part of the incision of infection a week later using long toothpick like sticks, without painkillers. I knew I was in for a treat when he said, "I need to see how deep it goes." I now know pain beyond anything I have ever experienced in my life up to this point.

Every once in a while you need a reminder of how good life is. To put things in perspective. That certainly did it for me. I now know what “put a bullet in my head now or I will” pain feels like, and will never be able to accidentally slice open my leg or hand again with a kitchen knife and be able to complain about it as much.

Anyone out there with good pain stories? What is the worst you’ve had? I know by most standards my experience today was probably pretty weak. Show me what you got!

4 Comments:

Blogger Karin - BluePip Designs said...

Hmm...the worst pain isn't one I enountered. It was watching my brother cry for 3 hours when his hernia all of a sudden got worse (he was 3) and they were trying to find the doctor to do an emergency surgery. Yes, an evil hernia.

Personally, probably the pain when I woke up after my jaw surgery. Oddly enough, the pain was in my back not my jaw, and they wouldn't let me roll to aleviate it. But that's nothing compared to your description. Hope you feel better soon!

1/11/2008 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeesh! Why no pain killers?

My worst really pales in comparison. A numbing shot into a large infected boil prior to lancing.

1/11/2008 6:47 PM  
Blogger mjonthemove said...

Sinus surgery last summer. I ran out of pain meds (1200 mg of Vicodine), and my sinuses were inflamed, which put enormous pressure on my teeth. I felt like my teeth were going to shatter. The pain made me nauseous. Feel Better, Dave! Happy Monday!

1/14/2008 7:58 AM  
Blogger david said...

Matt - I think you win. I'm on 500 mg of Vicodine, but didn't have extended pain like that to deal with. Ouch!

1/14/2008 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home