Sunday, November 25, 2007

Nebraska And Football

Have you ever been talking to someone for 10 minutes, only to find that the conversation has drifted to Huskers football? If so, you are talking to a Nebraskan.

For Thanksgiving my wife and I went to her Mom's place in Omaha. It just so happened that it was also the weekend that their college football coach was getting fired. I could not believe how big of news it was. It was on the front page of the newspaper, it was on the radio as I was flipping through the stations, it was on the 10 o'clock news as the lead story, then another 5 min during the sports segment. My mother in law was getting phone calls about it.

I admit I'm not much of a football fan so I'm not completely surprised by how out of the loop I was on this, but I realized this trip that Husker football is the Nebraska culture. Heck, they even elected a former Husker coach as a US Congressman! I knew it was big there, but I had no idea it was that big.

As a Minnesota boy, I was trying to think of something similar that all of us Minnesotans have that we rally around and defines the state. Probably nothing to that extent. Fishing? Hunting? Hotdish? I don't know. What defines Minnesotans?

3 Comments:

Blogger mjonthemove said...

Inattentive driving?

11/26/2007 3:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

hahaha.... (laughing at Matt's response)..

11/28/2007 7:55 AM  
Blogger david said...

Good point! I'll second that!

11/28/2007 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home