Thursday, March 03, 2005

Post #1

There are billions of blogs out there, so why does the world need another one? It doesn't. I do. This blog isn't so much for the world as it is for me. Still, I intend this to be a venue where my friends and others can see what is happening in my life. I'll do my best to keep it interesting.

This being my first post I feel like I should lay down some expectations:
1) I won't post daily. Heck, I may not even post weekly. But I will post.
2) If you find something interesting, enraging, or stupid, respond and tell me.
3) You will never read about cabbage here. Ah crap, I just mentioned it, scratch that one.
4) I might say something offensive about you, your mother, or your dog. Don't take it personally.
5) I have no more expectations.

So, on with the first post...
As most of you know, I'm planning to go to grad school this fall. I've been working on my application and I've realized something. Writing is a physically painful process. I can write code all day, and while my brain hurts after hours of doing it, I can still function. After writing essays for 6 hours last night I seriously thought my life was going to end.
Anyway, I'm writing all the recommendation letters for the people I asked to write me recommendation letters. In effect I'm recommending myself. How backwards is that? I feel like I'm standing in front of a mirror saying "I'm smart, handsome, and gosh darn it, people like me!" It all feels so fake. Then again all of academia is fake. Remind me again why I am applying for grad school?

This has been more than an ambitious first post after having done all this application writing. I'll see all you kiddos later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home